Tuesday 14 February 2012

Pencil vs Camera

Not many people seem to combine disciplines, often it's one or the other, drawing/painting or photography. Which is similar to the way I think, I have a big passion for fine art and even graphic art (I studied GCSE art again taking it up at A Level) yet I never seem combine my two passions, and I don't have a clue why, I guess it has just never really occurred to me, until now. I stumbled upon the works of multidisciplinary visual artist Ben Heine, and in particular his series 'Pencil vs Camera' which mixes drawing and photography, imagination and photography. His first image from this series that was published in April 2010. The main themes approached in this series are; love, freedom, the after life, friendship and nature. Heine states on his website "I just make art for people. I want them to dream and forget their daily troubles. I used to write poems many years ago, I want to convey a poetic and philosophical meaning into my pictures, each new creation should tell a story and generate an intense emotion, like a poem, like a melody".

Ben Heine - #12
Ben Heine - #57
 There is no real boundary in Heine's work, the majority of the work in this series, the drawings are done in black and white yet the background is very colourful, which creates between the two disciplines. I feel that the drawings represent tradition and fantasy while the photographs represent modernity and reality.

Ben Heine - #41
Ben Heine - #61
  
 'Things happening in my daily life are a big stimulation for me. I think sources of inspiration are everywhere; most people just don’t want to see them or they perceive and interpret them differently. Ideas often come to my mind at random moments.' - Quote from Heine taken from an interview for 'Something We Like'

Websites
www.benheine.com
www.somethingwelike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment